Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Thank you to Experience Days for their Xmas raffle donation!

Translate this page

For Braille, large print or audio, please contact us.

Account Login

Purple Mash

Explore Purple Mash to find out about the history of toys.

Click here to reach the web site.

Have fun!



Some children are very gifted and others may find aspects of the curriculum very difficult. We try to plan work so that it is appropriate and matches these children’s needs. The school has a very effective system in place for identifying and supporting children who may be more able gifted and talented or who have a Special Educational Need  (SEND). As the SENCo it is my role to coordinate the support these children receive and work closely with parents and external agencies.


What ‘special educational needs’ means
The term 'special educational needs' (SEN) has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn or access education than most children of the same age.
If your child has special educational needs, they may need extra help in a range of areas, for example:

  • school work
  • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • making friends or relating to adults
  • behaving properly in school
  • organising themselves
  • some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school

A step by step approach to meeting your child’s needs
Children learn in different ways, and can have different levels or kinds of SEN. So if your child has SEN, we will develop a step by step approach to meeting their needs. This may involve bringing in specialist expertise to help with the difficulties they may have. This step-by-step approach is set out in the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

Your child’s class teacher will let you know if your child begins to receive extra or different help because of their learning needs. The level of extra help is known as SEN Support and replaces School Action and School Action Plus provision for SEN children, and could be:

  • a different way of teaching certain things
  • some extra help from an adult
  • using particular equipment like a computer or special desk

Your child may need help through this step-by-step approach for only a short time, or for many years. You will be consulted at every step, and be told about your child's progress


Individual Provision Maps (IPM)
Your child's teacher is responsible for working with your child on a day-to-day basis. Once they have been identified as needing additional SEN support, they will write down the individual support for your child in the form of  an Individual Provision Map (formally known as an Individual Education Plan (IEP).
The individual provision map could include:

  • what special or additional help is being given
  • who will provide the help and how often
  • how your child’s needs are supported in class day to day.
  • what help you can give your child at home
  • your child’s targets
  • how and when progress will be checked

You will receive your child’s IPM and a letter home to read, sign and return to school to confirm receipt of the plan. If you wish to discuss this further you can either make an appointment to see your child’s class teacher or pop into an Inclusion parent drop in session. You will review your child's provision with the class teacher each half term and set targets for the next term to work on at both home and school.


Your child’s progress at school
Children make progress at different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. When planning lessons based around the National Curriculum, your child's teacher will take account of your child's needs by looking carefully at how they organise their lessons, classroom, books and materials in order to ensure the best possible outcomes.
The teacher will then choose suitable ways to help your child learn from a range of activities (often described as 'differentiating the curriculum').
If your child is making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area, they may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed.
Just because your child is making slower progress than you expected or the teachers are providing different support, help or activities in class, this doesn't necessarily mean that your child has SEN.
If your child does not make enough progress whilst receiving additional SEN support, their teacher, sometimes in conjunction with the SENCo, will contact you. We might advise you that we need to gain specialist advice to meet your child’s needs. This could include a specialist teacher, Educational Psychologist or a speech and language therapist. We will seek your permission to refer to an outside agency and will keep you regularly informed of any outcomes or next steps recommended for your child. 

If your child's needs continue to hinder their learning and development and the school feels it needs additional support in order to deliver an appropriate level of provision it may be necessary to apply for an Educational Health Care Plan (previously known as statements). There will be a detailed discussion between home, school and any outside agencies before the descision to apply for this additional level of support is made.






Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Do you accept?