Free School Lunches and Pupil Premium
What are ‘universal free school lunches for infants’?
If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 they will automatically be able to receive a free school lunch. This is called the ‘universal free school lunch.
What is the Pupil Premium?
Families who have made an application and been accepted for free school lunches, or have been in the past 6 years, are also entitled to the Pupil Premium, a sum of money that goes directly to school. In addition to a free school lunch this premium gives the school extra money to support your child’s education through its Pupil Premium whole school action plan.
How will the Pupil Premium help my family?
If you are in receipt of FSM or have been in the past 6 years, your child could get:
Free ‘cool milk’ in school at break times
A contribution towards school uniform costs
FREE school visits / FREE after school clubs
Funding for swimming lessons / Funding for residential visits in years 5 and 6.
How do I qualify for Free School lunches if my child is not in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2?
Your child may be able to get free school lunches if you get any of the following:
- income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If my child receives an ‘infant free school lunh’, should I still apply for free school lunch and hence the Pupil Premium?
YES. This is very important and often overlooked by parents. For children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 who already receive the ‘universal free school meal’, they should most definitely apply for “free school meals” if you meet the criteria above. As mentioned, this gives the school extra money to support your child’s education through its Pupil Premium whole school action plan.
*If your application is successful then your child will receive a free school lunch amongst other benefits, whilst the school will receive the Pupil Premium, enabling further support to all children through the Pupil Premium whole school action plan
How do I apply for Free School lunches?
In order for school to receive this extra funding, parents must complete and application form. If you are unsure if this applies to your family or would like some help with applying, please contact the school office. Please follow this link to find out more: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/free-school-meals
Pupil Premium Strategy Plans